22 July 2014

Three Months To Go

It has been a couple of months now since I won the competition to attend the 'One Young World Summit' and from what I have seen online it is a positive, inspirational event with a very inclusive vibe. I am really excited, its so up my street! I am eager to tell people about the work I do and hope I get that chance more than anything. I have so many emails from so many different people, which is confusing me, BUT I am muddling along just fine. Everyone at 'Telefonica' and 'Go Think Big' has been so friendly, it will be nice to meet everyone in person.

I mentioned before I won a competition to attend the event. We were asked by 'Go Think Big': What one change would you make to improve the lives of young people around the world? I answered...

I would create a multi-media project centred around the opinions of young creative people. Allowing their voices to be heard via radio, television, online video, events, social media and art exhibitions. I would make the entire project around creativity and art, celebrating innovation, ideas and independence of young people. By giving young people a platform and a voice, only then can our generation truly claim the future. There are great young thinkers in the world and to turn those thoughts into actions would be my idea of a fantastic new revolution. Allowing young people to change the things they care about through creativity and most importantly, reach out to the world via mass media. 

The reason I would centre it around creative and artistic issues is because art is so under represented worldwide and young artists do not get the opportunities that older, famous, more educated artists get. We need a fairer distribution of arts funding and support worldwide. Young people are key to changing the way we think about creativity. Young people are talented and they should be given opportunities! This would change the lives of young artists and the exposure would be for something positive rather than the bombardment of negative news we face via media on a day to day basis.

"I found your entry thought-provoking, well-written and moving. I am really excited to see what you will take away from the conference". - Molly Pierce Editor, Go Think Big

I care a great deal about arts and culture, and the promotion of it. I already run two projects promoting young artists. I am nervous because I've never met anyone else who does the sort of work I do. I hope they exist somewhere and I hope there are other creative people at the event. It will be interesting to see if the world really does care about young fledgling artists and the lack of representation they endure... I think its important. 

I really care about this world and I hope it translates through the answer I gave to 'Go Think Big' and through my work. There are so many dreams I want to make happen and going to Dublin for the first time will be an amazing starting point. I have a good feeling that 'One Young World' will lead me towards people who understand me and share some of my creative vision. Only three months to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment